[r-t] Candidate definition #10

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Tue Aug 12 17:45:30 UTC 2008

Don Morrison wrote:

> The stage, S, of B, is the number bells ringing that are
> not non-changing bells.

Although this is a perfectly self-consistent definition of
'stage', I can see it causing us problems later when we
get on to methods.  (This problem applies to your previous
definitions too.)

I imagine that we will have a definition that says something
like.  "Stages have names.  Stages 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15,
... are called Singles, Doubles, Triples, Caters, Cinques,
Sextuples, Septuples, ....  The title of a method shall
consist of its name, class and stage."

Now consider an ordinary peal of Stedman Cinques and Bristol
Maximus.  This is all one block (or stage fragment, or
whatever we call it), and the stage of this block is 12.
During the Stedman, I think we have a problem with 'stage'
meaning two things and having two different values.

RAS