[r-t] Candidate definition #10

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Aug 12 20:40:05 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Ted Steele <ted.steele at tesco.net> wrote:
> */*//*/*"each and every" seems to preclude variable cover. Is this your
> intention?

No, I don't believe it does preclude variable cover. It merely says
that, for purposes of ascertaining truth or completeness, a varying
cover bell is not a non-changing bell, but rather needs to be included
with the bells ringing the method. I believe the result (modulo today
you are not allowed an incomplete block below major) is identical to
what the current Decisions provide as a special case for variable
cover.

Like multi-stage spliced, this is an instance where the stage of the
method, or other process generating the changes, is potentially lower
than the stage of the block (aka fragment) used to determining its
truth and completeness.

>> A touch is a sequence of one or more blocks, rung in order
> Would "consecutively" be clearer.

Possibly. Certainly one fewer word.

>> all on all of the same bells, with no bell striking that is not a part
>> of exactly
>> one block
> Should this not refer to "all blocks"? I am not sure what you are
> getting at here. Is it to allow variable cover or mixed stages? If so
> that appears to be precluded by the definition of a block.

You are clearly correct that I phrased this badly, and it needs some
first aid. My intention was that you can't have, say, the tenor ding
out three times between two blocks all by itself; or interpolate a
false bit of ringing between two blocks (err, fragments) and claim the
blocks constitute a peal. Or ring a 2500, ring down the bells, have a
meal, and then go ring them up again and ring the second 2500.

> The amendments proposed by Ian PArtridge seem appropriate,

Already incorporated in #10a, sent to the list. Though there's clearly
now a #10b to come.

>> This definition captures a stringent definition of truth, that even
>> Mark will be happy with.
> Or even me; if it means what I think it means.

I'm glad to hear it!

"suus cuique attributus est error: sed non videmus manticae quod
in tergost." -- Catullus, XXII ("Everyone has his own assigned delusion:
we do not see the part of the bag that hangs on our back.")