[r-t] Candidate definition #10

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Aug 12 23:32:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Mark Davies <mark at snowtiger.net> wrote:
> 3. It is also too lax. I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "all
> blocks", but if you really do mean every set of blocks which could make up
> the touch, then every touch is false; so I presume you mean the composer
> gets to choose what the blocks are. Presumably then at any point I can
> introduce two rows, say
>
>   1234567
>   1235467
>
> and say that's a true and complete extent on 2 bells? I could do that quite
> a lot in a 7-bell peal and end up with all sorts of rubbish!

But Pandora's already been there. As soon as we allow five covers we
could have a peal that's 100% dodging. That it's stirred with
some triples doesn't make it any worse, and if it's no longer than
5040 at least it's got to be structured so it's true.

"An empty pageant; a stage play; flocks of sheep, herds of
cattle; a brawl of spearmen; a bone flung among a pack of dogs; a
crumb tossed into a pond of fish; ants loaded and laboring; mice,
scared and scampering; puppets, jerking on their strings - that
is life. In the midst of it all you must take your stand,
good-temperedly and without disdain."  -- Marcus Aurelius, _Meditations_