[r-t] Rows and changes

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Wed Aug 13 01:22:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 8:04 PM, Mark Davies <mark at snowtiger.net> wrote:
> This has six rows and six changes. That's not obvious because I've written
> it out on the wrong sort of plane. Because it's a round block, the beginning
> and end join up. Write it out on a strip of paper, cut it to the right
> length, then join up the ends so the beginning rounds and ending rounds
> overlap, and become the same row. That's your touch. That's a round block.

On paper, as a mathematical abstraction, sure.

But that's not at all what we're talking about. We're talkin about
people actually ringing, making noises spaced out in time. Except
perhaps in reruns of Star Trek time does not wrap around and start
again. And the rounds at the beginning of peal is often at a different
speed than that at the end; they're hardly the same thing. And you're
more tired and your hands potentially hurt more

"Prospering as a forager is a more difficult problem than doing
calculus or playing chess."   -- Stephen Pinker, _How the Mind Works_