[r-t] Candidate definition #10

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Wed Aug 13 21:28:52 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Ted Steele <ted.steele at tesco.net> wrote:
> No, I am afraid that it doesn't. I do already understand very clearly
> what you intend. I still maintain that it is not what your definition
> conveys.
>
> Take the Stedman Variable Cover doubles. In your terms the bell acting
> at cover is not a non-changing bell. I would say otherwise, that it is a
> non-changing bell, at least while it is acting as cover; at other times
> it is a changing bell; but  that is really not relevant and does not
> affect proof, which has to be at the six bell stage whatever way you
> understand what the bell in sixth is doing. However, it is plain that
> the bell in sixth place (call it whatever you like) has to alter from
> time to time in a variable cover block; but your definition implies
> (unintentionally, of course) that it cannot alter because it has got to
> stay there for "each and every row" of the block.

Only if it is a non-changing bell, which, by definition, it is not.
Note that the example stated explicitly that the variable cover block
has no non-changing bells.

Perhaps it would help if in reading the definition instead of having
the term "a non-changing bell", which perhaps carries some connotation
to you that is not part of its actual definition, you substituted "a
Glipstchk". That would, I think, take away any preconceived notions of
what a Glipstchk is. It is just what it is defined to be, and nothing
else.

Having tried three times now to resolve our difficulty of
communication, I think I had now best ask if anyone else on the list
can please help here, and better facilitate Ted and I understanding
what the other is talking about, please? Help?

"It is just amazing how attractive the prospect of washing the kitchen
floor or changing my shelf paper or balancing my checkbook becomes when
I have a pile of exams on my desk that need grading."
                              -- Daniel Dennett, _Consciousness Explained_