[r-t] Fifield Doubles

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Dec 23 18:18:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Alan C. Foster
<alan.c.foster at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying (and struggling) to get a true 120 of Fifield Doubles
> (5.1.125.3 hl5 le123).  I downloaded the method into Abel from the
> microSIRIL library, and that gives a 145 bob, 123 single, 125 extreme
> and a 1 omit.  I think the single is wrong, as that's the plain lead
> end.  Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Any easy way to get an extent is to call an extreme every time one
bell is unaffected. Using the 5 as observation this would be

120 Fifield Bob Doubles
  2345
  ____
  4532
  3254
e 5342
  4235
  ____
Repeat twice.

"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of
an easy way to factor large prime numbers."
    -- Bill Gates, _The Road Ahead_ (original 1995 hardcover edition)