[r-t] Big searches

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Sun Jan 6 14:18:42 UTC 2008

Don writes,

> Nope. I've never done anything like that.

How do you avoid finding the "trivial variations" (shunts moved) in the fast
search, then? It sounded something like that.

> In practice this turns out to be a win generally only where I'm trying to
> meet some threshold of some property, typically wanting a solution to have
> at least N instances of some set of musical rows.

Sounds a bit like the music pruning that Elf does, although it doesn't do a
BFS - instead it just uses N*(value of highest-scoring node) to estimate the
remaining possible music (for spliced, it can do the same thing for COM and
method balance). It's definitely a big win, even in this simplified version.
It is the most useful optimisation as yet unprogrammed in SMC32!