[r-t] Big searches

Mike Ovenden mike.ovenden at homecall.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 23:35:44 UTC 2008

Your understanding looks pretty much spot on.  I'd guessed you must have
something to eliminate pre-necklaces that aren't actually necklaces, having
looked at a few .sfN files in detail.

Actually, I implemented the algorithm from *your* description after you
extolled its virtues long ago!  It was only later that I identified it with
the FKM algorithm, as a result of finding how many nodes it visited and
feeding that into the Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences (even then I had to
do a bit of digging).  I think the reason I looked into it that much was
because of your comments on the SMC %complete estimate.  Talking of which,
maybe one of the serious mathematicians out there would care to provide an
efficient algorithm for determining the number of pre-necklaces of length n
<= (lexicographically) some given pre-necklace.

I did try comparing node counts for at least one other length, but didn't
get precise agreement.  I even started to wonder about your definition of
Mnode, but that didn't help - I guess it's 1000000 nodes!

Mike