[r-t] Big search

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Tue Jan 22 14:30:49 UTC 2008

Mark Davies wrote:
> that's just over 100,000 per second throughout the search.

Something's not right. When I run something long enough that it gets up a good
head of steam and by amortization the startup costs (JIT compiler mostly, I
think) become negligible, which happens in under a minute, I'm typically seeing
node rates in the 0.5 to 5 million per second range. But surely you are running
much faster: you're hand-coded, and paying a lot of attention to speed, and
probably running on a faster processor. I'm using a JIT compiled language, and,
while trying not to be profligate of resources, am not too worried about doing a
modest amount of computation for every node and just using easy to deal with
data structures.

Making the comparison even more surprising, I typically get the best node rates
when there's little falseness, as with Bristol. I have to visit many more nodes,
of course, but because there's so little book keeping to do on each visitation
they tend to be particularly fast. I presume the same thing holds for you.

I wonder if we're counting radically different things when we say "visiting a
node"? Or perhaps we're accounting for IO differently? Or maybe I've just got a
bug, or am doing my arithmetic wrong?

"This habit of ours of seeing everything in the mind through the metaphor
of vision (a habit we succumbed to twice in this very sentence) is a major
source of distortion and confusion, as we shall see."
                               -- Daniel Dennett, _Consciousness Explained_