[r-t] Big search

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 17:35:44 UTC 2008

Don wrote:

> What does it mean to "find" a composition?

It comes round after the desired length.

> With c. 450 billion of them you surely can't be writing
> them out to a file or anything.

SMC32 reports the number found, but the number output is limited by those
meeting minimum musical criteria set. One assumes that Mark set this very
high, otherwise he would have run out of disk space!

> Come to think of it, is "billion" in this context 10^9?

Yes, Mark is using US billion/trillion, otherwise the 287.9 trillion nodes
would mean incredible performance.

> Or in the UK does "billion" instead mean 10^12?

Yes it should, but the US billion is taking over increasingly. It is
annoying, as we are never sure which is being used.

Graham