[r-t] Cambridge with asymmetric bobs

Ben Willetts ben at benjw.org.uk
Tue Jul 29 18:36:29 UTC 2008

This may turn out to be one of those really stupid questions, but I haven't
had much sleep this weekend and I just can't seem to see the problem.

In Cambridge S Minor, the three bells under the treble as it moves from 4ths
to 5ths are a coursing three.  It would therefore seem to be possible to
call a bob here, using p.n. 16 instead of 36, which will rotate these three
bells in exactly the same way as a conventional lead-end bob.

'Wrong' then becomes the call when the tenor is 3rds p.b., and 'Home' is the
one where it's 5ths p.b.  However, calling WHWx3 with these bobs runs false
after the fifth bob.  Why is this?  It doesn't seem obvious to me that the
720 should not be true.

Ben