[r-t] Old methods

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Thu Jul 17 01:11:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 9:02 PM, Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org> wrote:
> For example, given the historic popularity of Grandsire and Oxford Bob
> Triples, I'm sure non-superstar bands could enjoy all sorts of

Another example I should have given, dear to Eddie's heart. I am sure
that if the Council in it's wisdom allowed the historical method New
Grandsire, there would be more peals of it rung than there are,
which these days is none at all. Probably not the sort of thing Philip
Earis longs for, and not really innovative, as it is of some
antiquity. But a way of adding interesting variety to the diets of
many non-superstar bands, and so a loss to our community brought on by
our slavish adherence to the Council's Decisions.

"Has it ever occurred to you how lucky you are to be alive? More
than 99% of all the creatures that have ever lived have died without
progeny, but not a single one of your ancestors falls into that group!"
                             -- Daniel Dennett, _Darwin's Dangerous Idea_