[r-t] Old methods

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 14:22:41 UTC 2008

Don wrote:

> Sadly, even then we'd have arguments:

> - What's a row?
> - Why begin in rounds?
> - Can the same row of rounds be the end of one peal and the start of
    the next? Or can one row be only an element of a single peal?
> - There are undoubtedly further hairs that could be split.

Exactly. Everyone who criticises the current decisions underestimates the
difficulty of coming up with a replacement set. In practice, gaining
consensus on the detailed definitions is fraught with problems, as Don has
illustrated. I doubt that we could gain universal agreement on a definition
of a peal between the members of this list.

Graham