[r-t] New Grandsire [was Old methods]

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Sat Jul 19 13:47:24 UTC 2008

Mark wrote:

> Compositions are:
> 2. Round blocks, so invariant by rotation (you don't get
> a new composition just by rotating it).

How would you describe Brain Price's 5090 Cambridge S Major when rotated
then? It runs into the same problem as the spliced Grandsire / New
Grandsire, in that you have to jump to a new position in the same method.

Related to this is an innovation I remember discussing with Tony Cox some
years ago, which he called "New Start Spliced". In this type of composition,
the conductor can call a change method at any point in the lead, and you
treat the next backstroke as the leadhead for starting the new method. This
concept could be applied to the rotated Cambridge case above by changing to
the method you are currently ringing - Spliced Cambridge S Major?

Graham