[r-t] New Grandsire [was Old methods]

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sun Jul 20 10:49:05 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Graham John <graham at changeringing.co.uk> wrote:
> In any event, there is nothing to stop you ringing it like that. The
> Methods committee could only influence how the peal should appear in
> print.

If memory serves, one of the reasons Differential Hunters were added
was so that bizarre hoops didn't have to be jumped through to describe
some of the various link methods that have become popular in
conformant ways. Rather they could be described in the manner in which
they are actually rung. I believe Eddie is trying to make a similar
argument that describing his composition as one method spliced with
itself in a strange manner is far more convoluted than the alternative.

The problem here, I believe, is that to the mathematician (which I'm
really just using a as shorthand for a particular viewpoint) in a method
with multiple hunts following the same path all such hunts are
equivalent. To a practical ringer, each hunt has a distinct identity.
When the method is rotated, to the mathematician a rotation of the
method that exchanges these identities does not change the method,
while to a practical ringer it does.

"From politics, it was an easy step to silence."
                                   -- Jane Austen, _Northanger Abbey_