[r-t] Old anything

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Sun Jul 20 20:24:59 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 5:49 AM, Ben Willetts <ben at benjw.org.uk> wrote:
> I'm sure the majority of people who enjoy half-lead bobs and big singles
> would agree that an unmusical composition of Rutland with eight types of
> call is still not worth ringing.  :-)

On the other hand, using a multiplicity of types of calls can,
depending upon your taste in such matters, get more musical rows into
a peal of Rutland than is usual, as the following first attempt at
constructing such a beast demonstrates. Whether or not such a thing is
worth ringing remains at best debatable. Apart from about eight leads
around each part end you are in bizarre courses that generate just a
few good rows, but are otherwise indifferent. Then again, I
suppose something similar could be said about most normal peals of
Rutland, too.

5,184 Rutland Surprise Major (no. 3657)

234567  F  B  T  V  W  H
________________________
63254      -        -
423765           z     y
357426  x  x           y
754263           y  -
726345  -     y     s
324657           y    [-]
________________________
Repeat five times, omitting [-]
from alternate parts.
- = 14; s = 1234; x = 16; z = 1256; y = 125678.

Contains all 24 each 7568s and 7658s, 18 each 56s, 65s, 5678s off the
front and 6578s off the front, 12 each 2468s, 8765s off the front and
8756s off the front, queens, Whittingtons, tittums and back rounds,
with no backstroke 87s.

Because the tenors are affected by so many calls, and the various
kinds of calls affect them differently the above may be difficult to
follow. Here are the lead ends of the first part:

2345678
_______
4263857
6482735
7864523  -
6758342
3567284  -
6325478
2648357  z
4237658  y
6384275  x
2856347  x
5238764
3574268  y
7328564  y
5273486  -
7542638
4765823
6487352
8634275
2386547  -
8253764
5874263  y
7528346
2375684  s
7263458
6748253  y
4627385
3246578 [-]
_______

http://ringing.org/main/pages/dfm/major/single-surprise/rutland#7234

"Prospering as a forager is a more difficult problem than doing
calculus or playing chess."   -- Stephen Pinker, _How the Mind Works_