[r-t] Decisions

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Thu Jul 24 19:57:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 3:52 PM, edward martin
<edward.w.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Back in the days Eddie Martin likes to harken to it was called a peal.
>
> The OED may be wrong (it's not unknown) but I think that they suggest the
> word you need is:
> 2. fig. to harp upon, on (of), a, one, the same (etc.) string: to repeat a

I fear you are mistaken in this case. I chose a form of harken (also,
I believe, sometimes spelled hearken) deliberately, intending the
somewhat metaphoric image of you listening to voices from the past.

I would never accuse you of harping. It might discourage the
entertaining threads your observations usually provoke.

"History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been
around a long time.                              -- Terry Pratchett