[r-t] Old methods

Ted Steele ted.steele at tesco.net
Thu Jul 31 22:51:41 UTC 2008

Mark Davies wrote:
> Ted writes,
>

>> I have come late to this discussion. I wonder whether it would help for
>> the CC to record (and thereby recognise as significant) innovative
>> peals,calls, methods etc. in a "Provisional" list and transfer to
>> "Established" lists when and if sufficient further performances by
>> different bands take place to demonstrate acceptance by the exercise.
>>

> But again, What About The Methods, Ted? Ring a new method in a "provisional"
> peal, and what happens to it? Included in the method libraries, or not? What
> if it's a new sort of method?
>
> MBD
If it's a method that meets established norms it is recorded immediately
in the normal way. If it is, say a surprise method but not compliant in
some detail (multiple blows in one place perhaps or several different
types of call) then it goes in the provisional list. If other bands ring
the same thing (the non-compliant bit that is, in the same or other
methods) so that it is seen to be acceptable then all such performances
move to the established list without discussion. It would only be
necessary to rule on how many repeat performances are required for
establishment and what constitutes a different band ringing them. As
everything is recorded and analysed this could actually promote change
because everything on the provisional list would be highlighted and
publicised.

Ted