[r-t] Dummy handbells for use with Abel

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 23:08:41 UTC 2009

On 22/06/09 I wrote to the change-ringers list to say that I had
experimented with ActionXL motion controllers as dummy handbells and had
written some interface software to use them with Abel. I am pleased to say
that trials with a small group of testers is now complete, and has been very
successful.

During the trials we identified not only some improvements to the "Handbell
Manager" interface software, but also some improvements to Abel, which Chris
Hughes has now implemented. Abel's bell pictures now swing rather than flip
instantaneously between strokes. This dramatically improves handbell
"ropesight", and this together with the use of motion controllers for the
physical feel of ringing handbells takes simulation of handbell ringing to a
new level.

For more information on the Handbell Manager software and motion controllers
(including a video of them being used with Abel) see:

http://www.changeringing.co.uk/handbellmanager/

To download the latest upgrade of Abel, version 3.7, which also allows you
to practise towerbell ropesight using moving rope images, go to:

http://www.abelsim.co.uk

Graham