[r-t] New plan

Matt Dawson matt.dawson at cantab.net
Wed Dec 23 14:01:45 UTC 2009

Following on from the Limited Slip discussion...

Over the past couple of weeks I've been toying with the idea of having
a part-end where the even and odd bells are rotated separately, giving
runs in various unexpected parts of the change for a plain hunt
dominated method. This concept works well on higher numbers, on any
odd number of bells (or even, if you have a fixed treble) - the only
problem is falseness between parts restricting what methods can be
used.

For example, take the following composition. 2, 4, 6, 8, 0 and T cycle
round one way whilst 3, 5, 7, 9 and E do the same the other way, and
so the composition is 5 * 6 = 30 parts in total. The trick here is
that only one change is needed (a 78 single) to move from one part to
the next.

7200 Plain Bob Maximus
234567890ET 8
4E638507T92 s (10 leads)
30 part; s = 1278
No more than 14 changes between 4-runs.

With apologies to Don Morrison for abusing his method descriptions
page, here's a link to the rows of the peal, with the runs highlighted
in red:

<http://tinyurl.com/7200pb12>

Obviously not everyone will be keen to ring a 7200 of Bob Max, so
further work would be needed to come up with a better length and some
more interesting methods. The same essential composition produces a
3200 of Bob Royal and an 1152 of Bob Major, which, if you're inclined,
can have a course tacked on the end using the same 56 single to give a
quarter peal (I think - haven't proved that).

As another illustration, the Caters differential
9.1.9.145.9.1.9.1.9.1.9.1.9.1.9.1 follows the same basic idea. The
first "lead-end" is 385274961, the plain course is 20 "leads" long and
contains a fair few runs, including (perhaps unfortunately) rows like
912345678 and 198765432.

I reckon there may be some potential in this, despite problems with
falseness (doing a similar thing with Bristol Royal, for example,
gives repeated rows). The more bells the better the effects, of
course, but I have a feeling there may be some scope for a peal length
20-part of Royal. Choosing the right methods, in the right order in
each part, is another matter entirely.

matt