[r-t] Compositions of the Decade: Part 5 - Major

King, Peter R peter.king at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Dec 10 13:09:28 UTC 2009

This composition, as yet unpublished, contains 23 different treble bob major methods.  It has limited musical scope, the methods lack intrinsic merit, there is no clever composing trick - it's just the composition is really, fiendishly, difficult to ring.

Humph! they are all perfectly fine methods  with great intrinsic beauty :)
I don't want to advertise my own work but we did also ring 45 atw plain major which is a fairly rubbish composition (Norman Smith's badly messed around a bit) but it proved a serious challenge to an experienced band. Plain major has the difficulty that before you know it the treble is at the back and then the leadend comes up. You don't get the luxury of dodging with the treble while you think what you are going to do next. I strongly agree with Philip that surprise major is just the tip of a far more interesting iceberg.