[r-t] Double extent of Stedman Triples

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 11:59:59 UTC 2009

2009/12/20 Richard Allton <rchat at allton.org.uk>:
> I believe the composition by J O Lancashire on p8 of C500 has the 7th
> unaffected - all courses 14 sixes long, no calls at 2, 9, 11 and 14, and
> singles at 1 and 10.
>
> Richard

That very page is missing from my copy so I cannot check, but, years
ago I made (I thought at the time) a thorough study of all possible
course structures and didn't find any where to get a 5040, the fixed
bell could escape from being affected. (By 'course structures' I mean
courses of 84 changes where the 7 comes home each course end and the
5040 can be set out in 60 mutually exclusive courses.)
As I recall, there were 60 such courses which reversed in pairs,
J.O.Lancashire's was one of them ..he used it in his famous comp which
has never more than two consecutive calls, but to do so had to splice
it with a complementary course which had bobs affecting the work of
the fixed bell. He cheated a bit because looking at the 5040 as being
a round block, there is actually one set of 3 consecutive bobs,
unavoidable if 7 is observation, but he chose to have the 4th,with
rounds occurring in  the 3-bob set!

If you could e-mail me a copy of the peal as set out in Comp 500, I
really would appreciate being able to investigate where I went wrong.

Cheers
Eddie Martin