[r-t] Double extent of Stedman Triples

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 12:19:03 UTC 2009

2009/12/20 Graham Hayward <doublehandler at hotmail.com>:

> In further reply to Andrew's question, Henry Cooper's well-known offering will leave the 7th undisturbed too. My battered copy of "Stedman" suggests that he was active in the early 19th Century (one of his peals being first rung in 1819). Some of John Carter's compositions have the same property.
> However, it'd be a pretty certain bet that the Cambridge peal was the first twin-bob composition to leave the 7th unaffected throughout.
> GRH

It certainly is not possible to get a true 5040 of Stedman Triples
using twin bobs without using singles to affect the fixed bell (7th)
Henry Cooper was very active as a composer. His 5040 is actually false
as printed on p. 120 of the first edition of the book 'Stedman' but
this was in all likelihood due to clerical error when copying the
probably much faded pencil figures from the  original manuscript. It
was easily adjusted by J.W.Parker and first rung Nov. 5th, 1932 being
the first 5040 in two exactly equal parts. (RW Nov 18th 1932, p.754)

The 5040 is arranged in 60 complementary courses (not 60 mutually
exclusive courses)
I'm not aware of any courses published by John Carter which are
comparable and would much appreciate it if you would email me a copy
of them

Cheers
Eddie Martin