[r-t] A caters stimulus package?

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Mon Dec 21 16:32:40 UTC 2009

Ander, I think you are spot-on with pretty much everything you say here.
The only thing I would add is, do not underestimate Grandsire Caters: it
is probably just about the best method we have got, on any stage. The
range of compositional possibilities is truly wondeful, and not
everything is explored. The possibilities that have been mined cover all
of the "Caters music" themes you list, including LB runs, back-bell
combinations and coursing music. Grandsire is Good Stuff!

However I agree it is chillingly disappointing that no-one has properly
explored other avenues. Surely, for instance, it must be possible to
come up with interesting, treble-dominated, non-plain-hunting methods?
I'm imagining something with a line somewhere between Bristol Major and
Triton Royal, and capable of producing similar Caters-style music to
Grandsire. Why not? Why has no-one ever looked for something like this?

I suspect it is because a pure treble-dodging path doesn't work terribly
well on odd numbers, and no-one has bothered to think any further. Which
is sad, because there is no reason why a Little or an Alliance method
couldn't work well. Look at Littleport Little or Cantuar - good methods,
which could have analogues at odd stages.

I've looked back through the (rather untidy) archives of the Method
Laboratory, and have found this little thing, composed in May 2000,
which sort of fits the bill:

   Oystercatcher Little Delight Caters
   5.9.3.1.9.5.7.369.147.9.7.169 lh 1

Seems like a good start to me. Why has nothing like this been rung? I'll
look and see if I have any decent Alliance methods, too.