[r-t] Union Doubles versus Triples

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 07:28:48 UTC 2009

2009/2/19 Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org>:
> (Truth in advertising disclaimer: this query is actually prompted by
> an observation from Eddie Martin elsewhere, but it stimulated my
> curiosity sufficiently I thought I'd ask here.)
>
> Am I correct in believing Union Triples is not related to Union
> Doubles?
>
> If so, how did this situation come about?
>
> In the 1980 CC Doubles collection the doubles method was named "Union
> Bob Doubles". As of the latest CC Decisions (E)D.2 it's just called
> "Union Doubles". When was the change made, and why?

Union Triples is Grandsire but with 5ths place at the row where a
traditional bob would have thirds.Union Doubles bears no resemblance
to this.
The first recorded peal of Union Triples was rung by the College
Youths at St. Lawrence Jewry on February 17th, 1728, conducted by
Benjamin Anmable.
I have a reader's ticket to the British Library & have been studying
Annable's Notebook where he entered a lead of the method & called it
"Baldwin's Union Triples" which suggests that it was first discovered
by Robert Baldwin who had been one of the founders of the Society of
Union Scholars, founded in 1713. A 5040 of Union Triples is also
recorded in the Notebook.  He also had a whole bunch of 5 & 6 bell
methods which I have not yet thoroughly looked at, so it MAY contain
'Union Doubles', otherwise I have no idea where or when the Doubles
first came to light.

Eddie Martin