[r-t] Scientific triples

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Mon Jan 5 23:44:56 UTC 2009

Yesterday I had the pleasure of ringing some scientific triples for the
first time (http://www.campanophile.co.uk/show.aspx?Code=76703)

Scientific is a well-known but rarely rung asymmetric principle with 30 rows
per division:

3.1.7.1.5.1.7.1.7.5.1.7.1.7.1.7.1.7.1.5.1.5.1.7.1.7.1.7.1.7

As Brian Price explains in his interesting paper published on the webpage
www.ringing.info/bdp/triples-principles.html, Scientific "...makes use of a
group of order 168, which is well-known to mathematicians and may be used to
marshall the 5,040 Triples rows into 30 sets of 168. A principle such as
Scientific must have a 7-part plain course of 7 x 30 rows, each section of
30 containing one from each set. The 7-part course makes use of the fact
that the group contains 7-part transpositions; there will be 24 mutually
true courses".

I vaguely recall Eddie Martin once saying he had composed a similar
companion method he intended to call "artistic" triples or something
similar.  Is this correct?  What is the notation?

Brian goes on to list the 229 principles that make use of this group with
7-lead courses and which have conventional symmetry. 6 of these additionally
have double symmetry, whilst 23 of these are "pure triples".

I'm interested in how this concept can be taken further.  Can some of these
methods be spliced together to create a clever and challenging extent? How
about splicing scientific with it's reverse or something similar?  What's
possible here?