[r-t] Ben Constant's Yorkshire Royal

Ted Steele ted.steele at tesco.net
Fri Jan 16 13:56:23 UTC 2009

Alexander Holroyd wrote:
> Perhaps more similar to composition is another highly constrained art
> form like Haiku or Braiding (not that I know anything about either).
>
> Ander

But ringing is an art and a science, isn't it? I thought that
composition lay on the scientific side rather than the artistic.
Although an "artistic" outcome is sought it is science in pursuit of
art. Does it help to consider authorship of compositions from the
scientific rather than the artistic perspective? How do scientists and
mathematicians divide the credit for original ideas and their
derivatives? What does the history of science say about things that were
independently discovered by different people without knowledge of each
other?

Ted