[r-t] Proportion of Surprise Methods

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 15:27:58 UTC 2009

2009/3/19 Don Morrison <dfm at ringing.org>:
> 2009/3/19 Leigh Simpson <lists at simpleigh.com>:
>> Some ringers (e.g., I think, DJPJ) prefer the following definition of
>> surprise methods:
>>
>>  > Surprise methods are Treble Dodging methods in which places are made
>>  > adjacent to the treble's path at every cross section.
>
> Eh? I guess I haven't been paying sufficient attention. Can someone
> explain? If "are made adjacent to the treble's path" means "all such
> places are adjacent" this means Yorkshire isn't a surprise method. But
> it must mean that, since it can't mean merely that "at least one place
> is adjacent to the treble at each cross section" as then even Kent
> Treble Bob Minor would be a surprise method, even though at higher
> stages it is not.
>
> What's going on? What am I missing?

Surely if it meant only places in 1-4; 3-6; 5-8 etc then we would need
yet another classification, However according to
http://ringing.org/main/pages/method?title=Yorkshire+Surprise+Maximus
(a truly valuable asset to the web)
when treble hunts up through 2-3, 4ths is made, likewise when through
4-5 place = 6ths; through 6-7;  8ths, through 8-9 ; 10ths.
Clearly by the above definition, Yorkshire is a Surprise method
Similarly :
treble through 2-3 pl = 4ths
treble through 4-5 pl = 3rds
treble through 6-7 pl = 5ths
Therefore, even though it used to be called 'London Marvel'  it is
actually London Surprise
However, surely the formula breaks down on the higher numbers in that
say on 12 bells you could have intersections:
1sts when hunting through 2-3 but then say 1-8 when hunting through
4-5 yet still be 'Surprise'
Hope this helps ;-)
Eddie Martin