[r-t] Proportion of Surprise Methods

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Fri Mar 20 07:29:28 UTC 2009

Don:
"Would it be possible to explain that logic? The current distinction
between surprise, delight and treble bob has always seemed to me
arbitrary, and it's not clear to me what value such a distinction
provides..."

I think you answer your own question here.

Richard Smith gave a good explanation of what I think. Surprise minor is a
logical category.  However, as often with these things, when applying the
concept to higher numbers the CC missed the fundamental aspect of what
makes surprise minor distincitve, ie "minimal boxes around the treble
every time it hunts".  As such, the current definition for surprise on 8+
bells is pretty meaningless.

I do also agree that using simply "treble-dodging" as a catch-all term has
some advantages.