[r-t] Double Grandsire Doubles

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Wed Mar 25 19:14:01 UTC 2009

2009/3/25 Simon Humphrey <sh at keystrata.co.uk>:
> An old friend of mine alleges that many years ago I gave him some extents of Double Grandsire Doubles.
>
> Even if this is true, I’ve no record or recollection of what the callings were.
>
> Are there any extant extents in this method, using normal and/or reverse Grandsire bobs and singles?  Or even 240’s?  I’m aware of Don Morrison’s 480’s.

An exhaustive search, which is even feasible by hand, pretty quickly
confirms that a true extent with the usual Grandsire bobs and singles
only at the lead end is not possible. Undoubtedly a less brute force,
clever proof is also possible.

I believe Eddie Martin worked out some clever extents using half-lead
calls, which it appears were published in _The Ringing World_: 1984,
p721; and 1992, p1126. I also appears a pair of 240s, I don't know
using what types of calls, by Albert Pitman, were published in 1958,
p499. I don't have ready access to any of those RWs right now, but I
hope someone who does will post the figures for these callings to this
list.

"The first of April is the day we remember what we are the other
364 days of the year."                               -- Mark Twain