[r-t] Double Grandsire Doubles

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Wed Mar 25 19:51:58 UTC 2009

Don Morrison wrote:

> Depends upon your definition of "Grandsire and Double Grandsire". I
> believe Eddie Martin would claim it contains neither, since it
> contains a plain lead of neither method.

It definitely feels like some derivative of Grandsire to me.
Whether you choose to label it Grandsire, or Double
Grandsire, or spliced is somewhat arbitrary.

You could call it St Augustine Bob with omits at 10 out of
12 lead ends, and a funny half-lead bob in every other
lead.  But that description just seems wrong to me.

I have an idea I've seen this in some 17th or 18th century
text, though I have no idea what name was given to it.

Looking through the list archives, it seems that in Aug
2006, Eddie Martin thought that this touch was "what I
suppose might be called spliced Grandsire & Double
Grandsire".

RAS