[r-t] Proportion of Surprise Methods

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Fri Mar 27 13:33:03 UTC 2009

Eddie - everything you say here is true, but it would be equally true if
we took the 2 as the "primary hunt" and used calls affecting the other
bells (including the 1).  So I don't see how it is evidence of a
difference between the two hunts.

The definitions of "principal hunts" etc in the decisions seem to be aimed
entirely at the problem of classification, and do not seem to carry any
implications about calls or composition.

Are you suggesting that the classification of a method should be in some
influenced by what types of compositions are possible for it?  That
doesn't seem very practical - e.g. we might not have known what type of
method Stedman triples was until recently...!