[r-t] 8-spliced touch

Martin Cansdale mjclists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 23:43:40 UTC 2009

2008/8/7 Philip Earis <pje24 at cantab.net>:
> On a different point, I have a problem that should be fairly simple to
> solve.  Much as I dislike them, I'm interested in the most musical short
> touch of the so-called "standard" 8 surprise major methods. The
> constraints are:
>
> - The touch should contain all 8 methods, with a change of method only at
> the leadhead.
>
> - Bobs (14) and Singles (1234) at the leadhead are fine.
>
> - The length of the touch should be between 253 changes (ie comes round at
> handstroke snap just before 8 leads) and 258 changes (comes round at
> backstroke snap).
>
> - Music is defined by occurance of <4-runs> - each appearance of 1234,
> 2345, 3456, 4567 or 5678 (or their reverses) in a row scores 1. (So rounds
> scores 5, the row 56784321 scores 2 etc).
>
> - Truth is not essential, but should ideally be recorded so a sub-list of
> true touches can be compared.
>
> - As a supplement, I'd also be interested in the results of touches up to
> both 9 leads (+ 2 changes), and 10 leads (+ 2 changes).
>
> The problem is so constrained that I would have thought it should be
> possible to solve exhuastively without too much trouble.  Can anybody do
> this and supply the results?  Indeed, has anyone done this before?

Right, I've finally got round to finishing this. All touches are in
the format of method/call pairs (p=plain, -= bob, s=single), length,
truth, score. As you'll see and probably unsurprisingly, all of the
highest scoring touches are trivially false. I might introduce a
same-leadend-twice check at some point. Here are the overall and true
top tens, from the 406,992 touches of the desired length:

MJC

All touches:
ppnpbpsplpcpyprp 256 false 65
bpypnppplpcpsprp 256 false 65