[r-t] New doubles extents

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Wed Oct 7 11:53:51 UTC 2009

Philip Earis wrote:

> I see from Campanophile that an extent of 'Awaiting Name'
> Treble Place Doubles has recently been rung
> (http://www.campanophile.co.uk/view.aspx?90052)
>
> According to the footnote,
>
> "This method rung for the first time:
> 3.123.1.123.5.123.1.123.5.123.1.123.5.123.1.123.5.123.1.123 lh12534
>
> Grandsire, based on Tendrings instead of Original. This
> method does appear in Tintinalogia, however it has never
> been named"

That last sentence is a bit disingenuous.  It's a bit like
ringing the standard 120 of Grandsire Doubles but choosing
to describe it as six leads of a method with a 20 change
lead, and then publishing it with a footnote saying "this
method does appear in Tintinnalogia, however it has never
been named".

Assuming the composition is what you speculate it is, and
I'm sure you're right, then what they've rung is precisely
Tendring, and it's published in Tintinnalogia under the
title 'Tendring's Six-score on five Bells'.

> [...] It seems no method with such a treble path is
> recorded on the CC methods committee site - can this be
> correct?  Does anything like this appear in Tintinalogia
> etc?

It's because modern practice seems to be to consider it a
principle with four changes per division, rather than a
treble place method with twenty changes per lead.  Although
reading Tintinnalogia, it's pretty clear that Duckworth
considered the method to be a padded version of Grandsire.
He even says (top of p73) "This Peal was made out of
Grandsire on five bells, the Bob changes in this, being the
same with those in Grandsire, and made by the same Rule."

In many ways it is similar to Crambo.  In Crambo, you take a
in-course half-extent (Stedman) and pad it such that between
each pair of adjacent rows you introduce an out-of-course
row.  In Tendring, you take an in-course half-extent
(Grandsire) and pad it such that between alternate pairs of
ajacent rows you introduce a pair of out-of-coures rows.

There's not just one way of doing this.  In the standard 60
of Grandsire, every second change is a 1.  This means you
can swap each of these 1 place notations for a 123.1.123
block (as in Tintinnalogia's extent of Tendring), but you
can also do the same with a 145.1.145 block.  Duckworth
doesn't do precisely this in Tintinnalogia, however Paradox
(pp73-8) can be thought of as variation on this theme.

You can also do it to some other in-course half-extents, for
example, if you can take Stedman and 'Tendringise' it, you
end up with Orpheus.  This works because every second change
is either a 1 or 3.  By replacing these with 123.1.123 and
123.3.123 respectively, you get Orpheus.  The rule seems to
be that for all possible changes that appear in one of the
slots, you must be able to take the change, add a pair of
adjacent places and end up with the same row.  Thus, 1+23
gives 123, as does 3+12.

Something similar appears not to work in Carter because all
three possible double changes appear in both 'slots', and
there is no single change which contains places in 1, 3 and
5.

   Carter Doubles:

   a b a b a b a b a b a b
   5.3.1.3.5.1.3.5.3.5.3.1