[r-t] Judging a Striking Competition

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Mon Apr 5 21:10:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Glenn Taylor <gaataylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> If the 12 bell is an event demonstrating a "standardised result" then why
> aren't the six teams going forward to the final those teams who scored the
> best six percentages, rather than the highest two from each venue?

I don't honestly know which scheme is better, but I don't think this
particular argument helps decide the question.

For your argument to work, all three eliminators would have to be rung
on the same bells, as well. Imagine band A ringing on a cranky,
difficult old twelve where you can barely hear the front four inside
the ringing room. Imagine band B ringing on a lovely, modern, easy
going twelve with perfect acoustics. It's possible that band A might
be vastly superior to band B, but be scored lower, not because of
their prowess, but because of the circumstances under which they had
to demonstrate it.

"Stories are written initially by individuals, whatever the
morphology of folktales."      -- Harold Bloom, _The Book of J_