[r-t] The most uninteresting peal composition?

Simon Humphrey sh at keystrata.co.uk
Sun Apr 25 08:50:33 UTC 2010

> Dave wrote:
>
> > I was wondering what the longest
> > length obtainable was with the
> > tenors together and one bell
> > never ringing 3rds place bell at all.
>
> Using standard bobs and singles, 4032 changes for Yorkshire and 3840 for
> Cambridge, I think.
>
> Graham

The middle three leads of the course of Cambridge are clean, in-course.
Starting at the backstroke snap and calling the tenor alternately fourths
and seconds with singles allows just these three leads to be rung, with the
tenors alternately the right way round and reversed and the tenor never
ringing 3rds place bell. 60 x 3-lead courses are therefore available, i.e.
5760, though it might be difficult to link them all up.

A 3-part 5184 is easy enough, though:

V B M W F H (32456)
        s -  564372
  s -   s    523476
  s     s    634572
  s   - s    243576
  s     s    635274
  s     s -  245673
  s     s    356274
  s     s    462375
- s     s    326475
  s         (32645)

Also true to Yorkshire and Superlative, as I remember; and I've used it for
other B methods with seemingly intractable falseness, such as Vulcan.

SH