[r-t] Asymmetric Doubles

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Thu Aug 5 17:06:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Ted Steele <ted.steele at tesco.net> wrote:
> since that bob appears to just swap over two bells, should it not be called
> a Single

For any doubles method with Plain Bob lead heads any two (treble
fixed) courses differ from one another just by the exchange of two
bells. I've never bothered to look into it in detail, but I suspect
that there's likely an isomorphism such that that same property holds
for any doubles method with a four lead plain course.

If your notion of a single versus a bob is that the former swaps just
two bells, then I think you might want to argue that the only kinds of
calls possible in such methods are singles.

"Fundamental rights may not be submitted to [a] vote; they depend on
the outcome of no elections.”    -- The Hon. Robert Jackson, decision
                              in West Virginia State Board of
Education v Barnette