[r-t] Asymmetric Doubles

Wyld Family e-mail wyld at waitrose.com
Thu Aug 5 20:00:21 UTC 2010

In the dim and distant past the Central Council published a set of
definitions including bobs and singles.  The following are taken from 1965
edition of Wilfred G Wilson's Change Ringing: -

"A bob can affect any number of working bells and its effect should be to
alter the coursing order of three of them.  A single can also affect any
number of working bells and its effect should be to alter the coursing order
of two of them."

These definitions were designed for simpler times and are clearly intended
to cover calls in Grandsire and 4ths place calls in 8ths place major methods
etc.

The debate about bob doubles illustrates the danger of trying to produce
general definitions since the bob complies with both definitions according
to how you look at it.