[r-t] Asymmetric Doubles

Matthew Frye matthew at frye.org.uk
Fri Aug 6 03:22:15 UTC 2010

Surely the origin of the term "single" is from single change? Presumably originally minor where it is essential (for extents in many methods), actually a single change and would also have been rung widely around the time the term was coined.
In that case 3/4 of the doubles "calls" could be legitimate singles, and singles on major are actually "doubles". Needless to say, even if this was the origin, convention had it's own ideas.

And what does all this tell us?
Nothing much…

Matthew