[r-t] Compositions of the decade - minor - addition

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Wed Feb 3 11:37:33 UTC 2010

David Sullivan wrote:

> He then ran it [an exhaustive search] for Bob Minor and
> got half a rainforest. So, no new extents of Bob Minor,
> they've all been done.

I don't agree with this view point.  If you run an
exhaustive search and it only finds a small number of
results, it is reasonable to claim to have discovered any
new compositions that might turn up.  If it lists a
bazillion different extents, then I don't think you can
claim to have really discovered anything new that might be
amongst them.

Enumerating the possible results is the easy part of a
computer search.  The hard bit, and the bit that is often
ignored, is processing the results of the search to extract
anything interesting from it.  Unless you've done that, you
can't really claim there are no new extents of Bob Minor.

RAS