[r-t] Exhausted search spaces

Graham John graham at changeringing.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 16:10:28 UTC 2010

Mew wrote:

> how can I say have a go without knowing
> what Don's computer has found or more
> specifically was set to search for?

You don't know what other composers have looked for in the past using pen
and paper either, so it is not really different now.

There are some search spaces which are small enough to be exhausted by
computer, such as strictly tenors together compositions, but beyond this
even a computer search will only have scratched the surface, so I don't
think that you need worry yourself unduly.

Having said that, setting up a page on the wiki for people to record what
their searches in popular methods have exhausted (specifying the
constraints) is not a bad idea. If people on this list are prepared to
contribute, I'll create a page to start it off.

Graham