[r-t] Exhausted search spaces

Simon Humphrey sh at keystrata.co.uk
Thu Feb 4 12:07:00 UTC 2010

> Alexander Holroyd wrote:
> > I'm a touch sceptical that anyone has searched the whole space of
> > extents of plain bob minor.  I'd be more inclined to believe it if
> > I saw the data.

Out of idle curiosity I just ran SMC on the sample search provided by
MBD for extents of PB6, and stoppped it after 6 minutes.
In that time it had produced 5.5 million compositions, occupying 344
megabytes of disk space, and (it claimed) was 0.52% through the search.
Taking the 0.52% at face value (I know you can't really), a complete
search would only take 19 hours, to produce one billion compositions
taking up 66 gigabytes of disk.  Well within the capacity of most
modern PCs.

SH