[r-t] Exhausted search spaces

Simon Humphrey sh at keystrata.co.uk
Fri Feb 5 23:21:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 17:11:52 +0000
Mark Davies <mark at snowtiger.net> wrote:

> I don't know why your PC is performing so badly on the SMC32
> benchmark. Possibly your L2 or L3 caches aren't up to scratch, or
> maybe disabling hyperthreading has made it worse. I'm not quite sure
> why you've done that, as I don't think it'll give you any benefits! I
> could be wrong, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to help SMC32.

The level 2/3 caches are quite likely to be a problem, I guess, it
being an old processor.

If I leave hyperthreading enabled (which is the default), then according
to the documentation the processor is effectively divided in two, and
SMC is confined to using just 50% of the processing capacity. Resulting
in run times twice as long, I would have thought.

Now, hang on a minute, my run times ARE twice as long as yours. Hmm.  I
wonder if disabling hyperthreading has actually had any effect at all?
Other than bamboozling Task Manager.

I'm convinced.  I'll build a new machine.

SH