[r-t] Hyperthreading [was Exhausted search spaces]

Mark Davies mark at snowtiger.net
Mon Feb 8 21:47:31 UTC 2010

Graham writes,

> That was the benchmark from my 3.4GHz hyperthreading Pentium 4 in 2005.
> Surely your AMD64 and Corei7 PCs must have beaten that since.

Sorry, yes, you are right. My current 2.8GHz i7 runs the benchmark very
slightly faster, in 1:47:07. Not bad you might think, given the slower
clock speed. But my previous box - a 2.2GHz Athlon X2 - is still the
quickest, at 1:42:30. That record was also set in 2005.

AMD make good chips... why did I buy Intel this time I'm asking myself?!

Very interested to see what a new Phenom will do. Might get near the
hour mark if it's as good as my old X2, cycle-for-cycle.