[r-t] Fwd: "double" cambridge?

Philip Saddleton pabs at cantab.net
Tue Jan 26 18:42:57 UTC 2010

CC Decision (E)A.1.g

 > A method has 'palindromic' symmetry if it is the same method when
rung backwards, that is when the order of the changes is inverted. A
method has 'double' symmetry if it is the same method when reversed,
that is when the places within each change are inverted. A method has
'rotational' symmetry if it is the same method when reversed and rung
backwards.

A method that has any two of these will necessarily have the third. Ann
seems to be assuming that Double refers to the 'rotational' symmetry
above, when it in fact it is (unsurprisingly) the 'double' symmetry that
matters. Since most methods have 'palindromic' symmetry, the distinction
is not often necessary.

The only case where the Decisions prescribe that Double has to be part
of the name is (E)D.2.e

 > If a non-Little Plain method with double symmetry and either one
plain hunting hunt bell or two or more principal hunts, all of which are
coursing, has the same number of leads in the plain course as the
corresponding method with no internal places below the hunt bell or
principal hunts, they shall have the same name but with the prefixes
"Double" and "Single" respectively.

As Eddie points out, this is the case for Double Cambridge Cyclic. It
does not preclude Ann from naming her method Double whatever.

Philip