[r-t] Fwd: "double" cambridge?

edward martin edward.w.martin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 11:53:38 UTC 2010

On 28 January 2010 09:23, Philip Earis <Earisp at rsc.org> wrote:
> "Could someone please give me details of what was used in 1752? and how do we know? I cannot find reference in any of the 18th century books to which I have access"
>
> >From www.methods.org.uk (at the end of the plain major collection):
>
> Eastern Bob -14-38-18-18-18-18-18-12 b 27.12.1747 Shoreditch  59/67
> Double Eastern Bob -14-38-18-78-58-16-18-12 d 12.1.1752 Westminster, St Margaret  59/67

 Thank you, that was very quick.
I've looked up the RW ref - it's from a week after week article  '
First Performances'  by  Frank Blagrove,  but it doesn't give the PN
I suppose that he got it and details from some Association Peal Book.
I'm trying to understand glide symmetry which I thought was very well
explained in your website but RAS's response has me very puzzled... I
respect his opinions but why is it that when he asks: "Can you think
of any methods that were called 'Double' but that did not have glide
symmetry, then?  I'm not aware of any."
Actually I can find no examples of glide symmetry in 18th cent books
at all, but I have found both palindromic  & non-palindromic methods
each with 'double' in their title

confused of Easthampstead