[r-t] Musical quarter of Bristol Surprise Major

Philip Saddleton pabs at cantab.net
Sun Jan 31 11:39:02 UTC 2010

The Flavells said  on 23/01/2010 11:33:
> What is the most musical quarter peal of Bristol Surprise Major with a
> maximum of say 1440 changes?
>
> Here is my offering for starters:
>
> 1312 Bristol Surprise Major by P J Flavell
> B,5,2W*,2H#       3725468
> 4M*,W,H               3527468
> SM,S4,In,5H*       2345678
>
> 2* = BS, 2# = SB, 4* = BSBB, 5* = BBSBB

Yuk! Why not have multiple calls at the half-lead as well to mop up the
music off the front? Personally I would ban more than two consecutive
calls in Mx methods.

With this prejudice, I have restricted myself to two isolated singles:

1280
23456  M  B  W  H
-----  ----------
34256           2
43625    F/I s
24356     -     2
45263     -
23456  s F/I
-----  ----------
100 4-bell runs (nearly all 5678/8765 or 2345/5432)
A palindrome

1344
23456   M F B V H
-----   ---------
372546      - -
32456   2 - -   s
-----   ---------
Repeat
96 4-bell runs

1344
23456   M  B  V  W  H
-----   -------------
372546     -  -
26453   s     2  -  -
35462   -        -  -
23456   - F/I       s
-----   -------------
104 4-bell runs (a greater variety, including 3456/6543 front and back)

or, if you must:

1440
23456  M     W H
-----  ---------