[r-t] The discovery of the internal falseness of Treble Bob

Robert Bennett r.h.bennett at paradise.net.nz
Sun May 23 09:43:46 UTC 2010

In an old ringing book (I think one edition of the Clavis Campanalogia)
there was a description of what had happened with Treble Bob Major:

1. A peal was composed (referred to as "the old peal")
2. It was "hackneyed until almost threadbare".
3. Then new composers sprang up, with a range of compositions.
4. Christopher Wells, one of the new composers discovered internal falseness
in the first section, with the treble in 1-2.
5. The old peal was not false, but a lot of the new ones were.
6. Falseness was discovered in the other sections, which made a lot of the
newer compositions false.

I draw the conclusion from this, that whoever composed the old peal knew
exactly
what he was doing, because otherwise he would have to have been very lucky.

Whoever the composer was, he did not communicate the way the his peal
worked.

Probably someone else produced a new (and false) peal some years later, and
that started a trend.

Robert Bennett.