[r-t] Peal of Spliced, anyone?

Don Morrison dfm at ringing.org
Mon May 10 16:27:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:23 PM, James Hustler <mcwomble at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If it has 'A' falseness doesn't this mean that it's false in the plain
>> course and therefore invalid as a method?
>
> That's what I always thought, but I notice that previous methods from
> the Earis/Smith stable have quoted "A" as well, but I can't remember
> their reasoning behind this.

There is ambiguity in what A falseness means. It could mean false in
the plain course, or it could mean the trivial falseness that every
method, even plain ones, have where a lead X is false against itself.

I believe there was a thread on this on one of the lists a few years
ago, probably this list.

The distinction rarely comes up in practice since methods that are
false in the plain course are so rarely rung.

"Science...is not just a matter of making mistakes, but of making
mistakes in public. Making mistakes for all to see, in the hopes
of getting the others to help with the corrections."
                       -- Daniel Dennett, _Darwin's Dangerous Idea_