[r-t] False Course Heads

Hayden Charles hcharles at grandsire.co.uk
Sun May 16 15:08:13 UTC 2010

John Camp wrote on 16/05/2010 12:40:
> At 06:06 on 16 May 2010, Richard Smith wrote:
>
>> Wilf Wilson's somewhat dated 'Art and Science of Change
>> Ringing on Church and Hand Bells' ...
>
> I have never before heard anyone refer to Wilfred Wilson as 'Wilf'.
> He would have been most upset.
>
> I was in a band where he managed to miscall Middleton's Cambridge,
> though.
>
> JEC

Was his book the last attempt to produce an overarching ringing
'textbook' going from bell-handling to 'expert' status? Bob Smith's
'Standard Methods' was lighter on the theory. I know several readers who
never got beyond page 32 in Wilson (chapter on Transposition): 'So if
you are in any doubt, I suggest you go over this chapter again from the
beginning'. They are stuck in an endless loop.

Interesting that Wilson's assumption, and that of his predecessors, is
that people learn to conduct in order to call peals. This assumption is
not there in many more recent volumes.

If we were producing a modern 'replacement' for a book like Wilson's,
what would need to be included? Which is begging the question of whether
there is a need.

Hayden Charles